Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Tergat wants one more win


Former world marathon record holder Paul Tergat is out to win another major race over the distance before retiring.

The 39-year-old Kenyan, who set his world record of two hours four minutes 55 seconds in Berlin six years ago, had to withdraw from last Sunday's BIG 25 in the capital with a back problem after a fall in training.

Tergat insists it is a short-term setback and is adamant he can extend his career for another couple of years, and wants to claim another top marathon victory.

"I want to win another major marathon with a fast time," said Tergat.

"I think about a big marathon but it is unlikely that it will be a World Marathon Majors race."

Tergat, the winner of this year's Lake Biwa event in Japan in a time of 2:10.22, played down suggestions he may chase the Masters World Record of 2:08.46 belonging to Andres Espinosa of Mexico when he turns 40 in June.

"This time is not a very big challenge for me," he said.

"But right now I don't want to say what sort of time might be possible for me."

Tergat was the first man to smash the two hours five minutes barrier, but does not see a sub-two hours marathon as a possibility.

"I don't think this will be possible in future because I believe that we are already near to the limit," he insisted.

"To run 2:02 will be very, very hard. I think a time slightly above 2:03 is possible, but this also is getting really tough. If you run the first half faster than 61 and a half minutes you will kill yourself."

The current world record of 2:03:59 was achieved by legendary Ethiopian Haile Gebrselassie last year in Berlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment