Thierry Henry is loving life so much at Barcelona he can't envisage concluding his career anywhere else other than Camp Nou.
The Frenchman's first season in the Catalan capital was one of acute disappointment, as he struggled to adapt to his new surrounds following a move from Arsenal.
A trophyless campaign led to speculation of a return to England but the arrival of Pep Guardiola as Barca's new coach coincided with a return to form for Henry and an unprecedented treble for the club.
Henry believes the relationship he shares with an initially sceptical Barca faithful is such that the idea of leaving no longer seems an option.
"I had a difficult first season, it has to be said, but when we won the treble we had a special event on the pitch," he said.
"I took the microphone and said some things that really came from my heart.
"I said to the Barcelona fans that finally I was a fan of the club. That was the first time I felt I could say that. In the first season I didn't deliver, although I don't feel I cheated anyone.
"It would be impossible to walk out after that. And I also had a great discussion with the boss, who reassured me he wanted me to stay.
"I still miss London, don't get me wrong, but Barcelona is an amazing town and finally I feel I am part of the team at this club."
Henry starred in a three-pronged attack alongside Lionel Messi and Samuel Eto'o last season but it would appear the latter is to leave the club for Inter Milan, in a deal that will see Zlatan Ibrahimovic head in the opposite direction.
The Swede will bring with him a reputation for being aloof and arrogant but Henry cannot foresee any problems.
"Technically he can keep whatever ball you throw at him," Henry said. "And what I like about him is his character. For some people it is a bit too much but I don't mind. To be a player like that you have to have it."
No comments:
Post a Comment