Russian climber Sergey Sinitsyn tore through the competition to be crowned X Games Asia 2009 Men's Speed Climbing Champion.
The day started with the trio of Chinese climbers in good form but they withered under the pressure to put two Russians and Indonesians into the final four.
Sinitsyn and his compatriot Sergey Abdrakhmanov stormed through with their powerful style while Indonesia's flamboyant duo of X Games 2008 Champion, Yulianto Abu Dzar and Asmoro Galar Pandu kept Indonesia's hopes alive.
All the climbers were in unison that this year's wall was a very tough one.
"The truth is that the wall is very difficult. I cannot climb fast because of it." said silver medallist Yulianto.
Asmoro was quick to add: "This is the first time I have seen a route like this, last year was the same wall but easier. This wall is steeper and harder to hook on to."
Even the man who seemed have an easy time up the wall agreed.
Sinitsyn said: "This wall is very tough but back in Russia, the walls we used to train on are just as tough."
Nonetheless, Yulianto was excited to have been on the podium and despite being unable to retain his throne from last time out, he was still pleased with his day out in Shanghai.
He said: "I am very, very happy. Even though its silver and not gold, I am pleased with my performance."
Sinitsyn who was competing for the first time at X Games Asia was thrilled to see the huge turnout and was equally surprised by the boisterous Chinese crowd.
"This is my first time on X Games Asia, but I have been to the Summer X before and the crowd here is one of the best,
"They are very noisy and they cheer us on a lot. I would like to be back next year to be part of it again." he exclaimed.
He also gave credit to his opponents when he said: "The Indonesian climbers are a very strong bunch of guys. Tough opponents."
Gold
Sergey Sinitsyn RUS - 13.718
Silver
Yulianto Abu Dzar INA - 14.693
Bronze
Sergey Abdrakhmanov RUS - 15.150
No comments:
Post a Comment